Thursday, March 12, 2009

Introduction...Hello, I'm Andria--and I'm crazy

I have been blogging for years. It started as a simple recollection of infomercials on my Myspace account, grew into random bouts of insanity caused by the stresses of parenting, school, work, marriage, poor decisions, fabulous decisions, divorce, death, and life. What started off so innocently took a turn in popularity I wasn't prepared for...many began following my life as their own personal novela--finding inspiration in my words, a smile and laugh in my sarcastic and odd take on events, a shoulder to cry on when things went down, and private messages demanding more posts. I have since created a few blogs on my private pages and bulletins, but, have decided to go international, even if someone in the Ukraine doesn't care that my cat crapped in the bathtub, it's out there for all to read. 

That being said, and this being a new blog and new opportunity for people to understand who I am, I should give a formal introduction. As it stands, I am a 30 year old divorced mother of three little boys. My oldest will be turning 9 in May, my middle turning 7 in April, and my youngest, if I don't kill him first, will be turning 5 in August. I should also mention that I am pregnant with baby #4 who is due in August. I am a middle school band director who loves the challenges of my job, but, not the time crunch it places on my family. I recently moved to Austin, Texas from El Paso, Texas to pursue a new life, a new career, and a new beginning for my family. After surviving a roller coaster marriage for 8 years that finally ended in divorce, it was time to see what else the world had to offer, and in an instant, I found out. 

I have had a close network of friends for as long as I can remember..many of them have willingly stuck by me through some of the strangest events, as I have done for them. Moving 700 miles away from them terrified me. Not only was I leaving my extended family, a mom I have considered a confidant as well as a parent, and everything I knew, I was leaving behind my best friends. So, I did what any woman in the technological age should do...went to look for new ones online. My message was simple "I'm moving to Austin, I don't really know anyone, I'm looking for friends, you seem interesting, if you would like to chat, email me back". Now, in the world of myspace, where I did my random posting on random profiles of random people that seemed interesting, I understood that finding someone I actually clicked with would be difficult. I believe I sent out 5 or 6 messages, and out of those, 2 replied. I can only assume the others did not want to chat...their loss. One of those two has remained an online buddy, someone I have never seen or met in person--he and I have shared our thoughts on certain events, dates, personalities, and other odd tid bits of our own lives. The other, well, as interesting as he seemed, I never would have imagined he would play such an enormous role in my life.

I packed a UHaul and trecked across the great state of Texas...my mother, step father, little brother, and best friend in hand. Upon our arrival, we had to move my three bedroom house into a two bedroom apartment...located on the third floor. It is now a blur of pulled muscles, bruises, cuts, sweat, and many words that are not PG rated, but, within a few hours, my new apartment and new life was officially sitting in boxes in the middle of my new apartment. I remember showering and collapsing on the bed, just in time for Michael, one of my online pals to send me a text message--seemed he was off work and wanted to see if I was in the mood to hang out. Jesus, I just drove 10 hours, moved up three flights of stairs, and in was in no condition to be seen by the public eye--but Daphne was staying with me, and if this guy was a serial killer, at least he would have to take two of us down--the boys were still in El Paso with their father, this might be the only opportunity to meet this person...so, I agreed. Michael was like a friend I had known for years...thankfully, not a serial killer. We stayed up until the wee hours of the morning talking about anything and everything--found out we had very similar taste in music, not much in movies, both enjoyed beer, and would rather hang out at a hole in the wall bar playing pool than dance in a fancy club. 

Two days it took this boy to kiss me...and when he did--I realized we were no longer friends. I don't kiss my friends like that. I knew Michael was something special, I just didn't know where he fit into my "Austin plan", that was not going to be confused by boys, dating, or relationships--I had to focus on my children and getting a job (should I mention I moved without one of those, ya, real smart in this economy). After returning to Austin with my children a few days later, I was centered on getting my career started. I had excellent credentials from the school I had worked for in El Paso, and Austin is the mothership of fine arts programs, I was confident I would find a job within a few days. After a month, and assuming I would be working at the Sonic up the street, I got the call for an interview. The school was extremely urban, low income, low performing, but, the kids had heart and needed a director that didn't have a problem being a positive role model in their lives. I jumped at the chance to work at this school--I figured, hey, it's my calling. During all of this, Michael and I had taken things slow, hung out when we could, mostly after my boys were in bed, I wasn't ready for them to get mixed up in "mommy's business". 

I've never believed someone could "have it all"...I loved my new city, my job, my kids were now at a great school, even found daycare for the youngest that wasn't going to cost me a mortgage payment, and a boyfriend who was understanding, compassionate, and just as busy as I was. I had no intentions on changing my plan--I was content with new friendships I had formed, old friendships I had rekindled, and a life that was starting to pan out. That was, until one evening where the alcohol was excessive as was the drinking--caution was thrown to the wind and decisions were made that would forever effect my life, Michael's life, and that of my three children. I peed on the stick, one line--thank God, tossed it in the trash and went back to bed. Two hours later, I travelled back to the potty, glanced in the trash, to see two lines--how could this be?!?!?! For the next week I spent $30 on things to pee on...some positive, some negative. It wasn't until it was confirmed by the doctor "ya, you're knocked up" that it hit. Holy crap...I'm never drinking that much vodka again--especially for the next 9 months. 

I love Michael, my children love Michael, and he is the greatest man I have ever known. I used to ask him at the beginning what he wanted with a 30 year old divorcee with 3 children...he was convinced HE was the lucky one. Within a month we moved in together, obviously to a bigger place, in the last 10 months, we haven't so much as had a fight. The fetus he has implanted in me has made me so ill that I have been placed on several medications to control it--they don't work, by the way. I have had to take temporary disability from my job to get this under control, I'm halfway through this and it hasn't let up. I will find out what the hateful fetus is in about a month--I can only think something this awful would be female, but, after mothering three boys, I pretty much stay in penis mode. 

I'll admit, I really do have in all...kinda. Moving to Austin was a fabulous decision, sending out my random message to people on myspace worked out...got a friend AND future husband out of it. I still have those amazing friends back in El Paso, some in Dallas, a handful in Austin, and a few scattered here and there. I will most likely take a year off from the career to stay home with the little spawn, help the older spawns adjust to life with a new baby, help Michael adjust to having a baby AND three helliun boys, and to help hold down my sanity. All in all, life has worked out...it was a long road, but, I know that road has yet to end and will have many more bumps, turns, and forks to work out. As long as I keep my head up high and my eye on the prize, I can get through it...I look forward to the adventures.

Until next time--
Peace My Bebes,
Andria

7 comments:

  1. Damn, that's one hell of a story...oh yea, I was there...dragging my fat ass up 3 flights of stairs in 500% humidity. Then there was the packing the day before, again, it was so hot that Vern's black work shirt was powdered with the salt from his sweat. And then there was the infamous garage sale...oiy vey, I'm glad you're gone!!! hahahahaha!!! Don't ever want to do that again!!

    Truthfully, I miss you like my luggage. I miss the holidays with you and those adorable little he-devils. Last 4th of July was so boring since neither you or Marisa were there to laugh and joke around (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)and eat and drink till I went into diabetic coma. Yeppers, miss you mucho, sweet little girl...ok you all, she's my little girl and come to think of it, she was never that sweet, so quit you snickering.

    Love,
    Your Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh BTW, thanks for signing up on my blog!! You may be it for a looong time!!!! Forgot to add that to my blog...guess I didn't want to feel like a big lo-ser...but who the hell cares now. And where did you learn the "fishy" face???? Another generation of the Diaz "fishy" face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im so gonna love this...maybe as much i love you and "those one boys that came over with that funny lady" HA HA HA!

    major hugs and love my friend...call me anytime, its free after 9! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you and miss you greatly! and i am going to completely enjoy reading your blogs! and after readin your mommas comments, now i can see where you get the urge to write, and the sense of humor from! love you my hick spic jew! always here, your honkey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY God, honey, that pic of Zach and my Dad just blew me away. I don't have that one...you're right, it does exemplify their true character. I too miss him terribly but I know he's happy now, able to walk and run, he can see, go through worm holes, witness super novas and hanging out with all those long gone Playboy bunnies!! That's my pops!

    And now a message from your loyal blogger, hey friends of Andria, join my blog too. It's easy, no mess, no fuss and entirely natural. The best part, it won't cost you $19.99.... but wait, you'll get lots of good advise, friendly conversation and the use of the occasional "F" word. So come on down and sign up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, listened to your Eric Whitacre song...beautiful. As a matter of fact, he is too!!! HE'S HOT!!!!! Went to his MYSpace and what a hunk-a-hunk of burning man!!!!! Hey, I may be 57 and a grandmother, but I'm not dead!!!!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE your blogs! And I will never move that much shit up 3 flights of stairs again! lol..next time we'll have a helluva yard sale and hire some hot movers or something..

    I love you and I miss you dearly..gonna have to plan a trip up there for a weekend or something..

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete